Who We Are?
The purpose of the St. Clair Beekeepers Association is to promote interest in bees and beekeeping by such means as encouraging…
- Good beekeeping practices
- The utilization of bees for pollination of agricultural crops
- The dissemination of information about bees and beekeeping
- Educating future beekeepers
The St. Clair Beekeepers Association is oneof the oldest organizations promoting beekeeping in Illinois.
An article in the Belleville Daily Advocate dated July 16,1917 states:
Beekeepers Have Formed Organization
A number of beekeepers of Belleville and the vicinity met yesterday at the home of R.V. Dew and formally organized an association to be known as The St. Clair County Beekeepers Association,” the object of which will be to promote the general interests of the pursuit of bee-culture in the county.
One of the features of the meeting was a demonstration in the apiary, where a particular manipulation of the hives and bees took place, to show the advantages of up-to-date methods of beekeeping. The entire assemblage was right in among the bees and no one was stung, except Mr. Hertel, who purposely received a sting as an antidote for rheumatism. Interested parties can secure information concerning “The St. Clair County Beekeepers Association” by corresponding with the secretary.
Current Club Officers
Serving as an officer of the club is very rewarding and you get to meet many other beekeepers. Officers serve a three year term and are elected at the September meeting. Please consider serving.
- President – Tim Schartung
- Vice President – Tom Cairns
- Secretary – Katelyn Hentrich
- Treasurer – Dennis Hessel
- Public Information Officer – Dennis Hessel
- Librarian – Katelyn Eichorst
- Director – Charity Davis-Woodard
- Director – Frank Dorris
- Director – Johnny Murdock
- Program Director Marc Mayhew
Being a member of the SCBA has several benefits:
- Automatically enrolled as a member of the Illinois State Beekeepers Association
- Access to our library of books and magazines
- Can post items for sale in our Classifieds
- Enroll in our Swarm and Cutout Program
You want to become a member
Dues are $20 per year and include your membership in the Illinois State Beekeepers Association. To join, please complete our membership form and mail your check for $20 to St. Clair Beekeepers Association, C/O Dennis Hessel, 1720 Cloverdale Dr., Edwardsville, IL 62025. For more information email email@example.com.
The St. Clair Beekeepers Association meets monthly. During October through April the meetings are held on last Friday of the month at 7:00 pm. The meeting location alternates each month (see Meeting Schedule page) between the St. Clair County Farm Bureau and the Madison County Farm Bureau offices. During the Summer months (May through September) meetings are held outdoors at various apiaries to allow members the opportunity to actually open and inspect beehives and experience beekeeping firsthand. Click here for Maps